Sunday, March 11, 2012

HAIL SPIRIT NOIR - PNEUMA (2012)



genre : psychedelic prog blackmetal/ psychedelic prog rock
similar bands : Deathspell Omega, Nachmystium, Yes
origin : Greece
strong spot : originality, vintage sound of strings, jazzy drum performance
weak spot : nothing 

Imagine The Doors wearing corpsepaint and playing black metal. Imagine Burzum as time travellers jamming with Emerson,lake and Palmer in 1972 somewhere in London. How would black metal sound if played in the 60s or 70s? The answer is given by Haris and Theoharis, also members of mighty Transcending bizarre?. Hail Spirit Noir present  one of the best prog black albums I have ever heard in my entire life. 'Pneuma' is almost perfect. Psychedelic, progressive, dark, melodic, complex yet catchy, original, strange. The clean vocals are some of the best I've heard the last years. All the melodies of the album are unique. The band uses strange chord progression but manage to create catchy songs, this is really exceptional. The sound is 100% analogue, vintage yet modern at the same time. It sounds like it was recorded ages ago, more likely in the 70s. I don't know any other band that plays this way. This is just Hail Spirit noir, pure damn Hail Spirit Noir!!!


10 out of 10 goatheads
(This is the first 10 out of 10 rating for a new album in this blog)

4 comments:

  1. Loved this immediately! Excellent choice for your 10/10.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog. I actually have this already. I just havena't gotten it posted at galleriesofdamnation yet. Thanks for the heads up. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try Ultima Missa - In Assenza di Luce... Has some '70 feeling on it, but the progression is simplier. Anyway, this is badass stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my best 2012 discovery!
    I couldn't think of anything missing here. I didn't know I was waiting for something like this until I heard it... True genius!

    ReplyDelete